One of the greatest habits I cultivated early in my life was journaling. Having been a girl whose voice was taken away from her at a young age, the pen to paper was a great way to get my thoughts and feelings expressed. As I evolved in the healing process, I continued to use writing as a powerful tool for self-exploration and later for planning my future. Dr. Mark Atkinson, internationally renowned pioneer in mind-body medicine says, “One simple, practical and cost-free way to process your emotions, gain insight and clear your head is through journaling. It is particularly good for liberating yourself from self-limiting beliefs and thoughts, healing emotional pain, finding new meaning and purpose and supporting spiritual growth.”
Below is a journaling technique I developed and share in my book, The Magic of Succeeding:
The Today Sheet Meditation
- On a single sheet of paper dated and labeled TODAY, describe what is currently going on in your life.
- Include your experiences and how you feel physically and emotionally.
- Check in with yourself and create a new Today Sheet on a daily basis.
- As your days improve, so will the quality of your Today Sheet.
- Your writings will move away from experiences in which you felt victimized, to more positive experiences, and will likely include action-plan items.
- Whatever comes through, don’t judge it. Just write and observe where you are. It will give you a clue into what issues should be addressed and which activities you should engage in.
- You can also spend time in dynamic meditation, asking yourself and answering solution-oriented questions, beginning with “How can I” or “What can I”.
- Also, visualize yourself having achieved your goals, and feel what it’s like to achieve them. That feel-good feeling will help propel you into action toward your goals.