If I didn’t already know that there is no single magic pill, I’d say stillness in the form of meditation and prayer is it; the holy grail of self care! But since I know better, I will say it is one of the most important things you can do to improve just about anything in your life.
Before I share with you its benefits, I want to clarify that I did not grow up meditating. In fact it was a very foreign and ‘strange’ concept that I was exposed to much later in my life. Once exposed, it took years for me to warm up to meditation.
What I learned is that in order for you to reap any real benefits of meditation, you must develop a daily practice of at least 10 mins.
What does meditation do?
- Clears the mind
- Connects you to your source
- Gives your thinking mind a break
- Helps you tap into your subconscious mind
- Slows heart rate
- Releases endorphins (feel good chemicals)
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Increases concentration
Where do you begin?
- Be willing to try different forms of meditation: silent, guided, mantra, prayer, dynamic, movement.
- Dedicate a minimum of 10 minutes per day for meditation.
- Commit to a single form of meditation for 30 days so you can experience the full benefits, then try another.
- When you find forms of meditation that speak to you stick with them.
- Silent Meditation: Mediitation Methods http://www.meditation-methods.com/silentmeditation.html
- Guided Meditation: The Guided Meditation Site http://www.the-guided-meditation-site.com
- Dynamic Meditation: Silva Life System http://www.silvalifesystem.com
- Mantra/Prayer Meditation: Rootlight http://rootlight.com/practical_spirituality_naam_yoga.htm
- Movement Meditation: Patience T’ai Chi Association http://www.patiencetaichi.com/public/93.cfm