Believe you’re a positive person? You’re a responsible, hardworking citizen who even gives back to the community when you can. But on a personal level things aren’t going as well as you’d like. Take a moment to self assess:
- Are consistently worrying about the future?
- Do you spend a lot of time complaining about the same issues?
- Do you feel victimized and blame others for your problems?
- Are you resentful about the past?
- Do obstacles keep you from moving forward with your goals?
If you are consistently thinking negatively about your experiences, your life, and what you aim to accomplish, you will remain stuck and not be able to move forward. Many seemingly positive people think very negatively. The end result of your limited thinking is that nothing changes. You must end negativity to move your life forward. You must stop seeing obstacles and instead come up with solutions. Learn from children, you will rarely see them focus on limitations. They keep their eyes fixed on their prize and do whatever it takes to get what they want. Lucky for us, it’s never too late to transform negative thought patterns into positive ones.
How To Reserve Negative Thinking
- Bring awareness to your thoughts
- Identify and list any negative ones
- Make your thought temporary by adding “at the moment” to end of it
- Find value in the experience; perhaps a lesson
- Ask yourself how you can improve the situation
- Connect with how that makes you feel
- Visualize the end result
- Act on it
- Repeat the process until negative thoughts stop
This post relates to Life Strategies: Mindful Thinking & Stress Management